International Day of Action to Defend the Amazon
August 22, 2011
In The News
- Brazilians protest Amazon dam – Reuters (video)
- Protesters have a blue over green concerns – The Canberra Times
- Activists protest in front of Brazil office – Taipei Times
- German NGO's Protest Belo Monte in Berlin – ZOCIALtv (video)
- Protesters demand end to controversial Amazon dam – MongaBay.com
- Thousands Protest Worldwide in Day of Action to Defend the Amazon – YubaNet.com
- Protest outside the Brazilian embassy to stop the Amazon Mega Dam – Demotix
- Miles de personas se manifiestan contra la construcción de una megapresa en la Amazonia – La Vanguadia (Spanish)
- Indígenas protestan en Sao Paulo contra represa gigante en Amazonia – EFE (Spanish)
- Summary of global protests – Global Voices (Portuguese)
- Ativistas protestam no Brasil e no exterior contra Belo Monte – Agência Brasil (Portuguese)
To all the global defenders of the Amazon who organized demonstrations and protested at Brazilian embassies and consulates around the planet: We made history on August 22nd!
Together we formed an unprecedented movement of thousands of protestors, staging solidarity actions in 17 countries following protests that swept through 15 Brazilian cities days earlier. The world has spoken resoundingly and in chorus, urging the administration of President Dilma Rousseff to end her government's assault on the forests and the people of the Amazon.
While we sent a critical message, our work is far from over. It's now time to harness the power and potential of our growing global solidarity network to continue our support in defense of the Amazon.
We need to keep the pressure on the Brazilian government to stop its assault on human rights and the environment by canceling Belo Monte and preserving its the Forest Code. Here are some ways you can help:
- To sustain ongoing mobilizations in Brazil, please donate to the Urgent Action Fund for the Xingu and encourage others to donate through your personal and professional networks;
- Like our Facebook Causes page and the Day of Action event page to stay updated;
- Plan and stage new protests in your city!
Report on Global Protests
Closely coordinated with Brazilian actions, our global protests reached from Turkey to Taiwan, demonstrating a mounting concern among the international community that Brazil's shortsighted development model – exemplified by the disastrous Belo Monte Dam and the menace of sweeping changes to its Forest Code – jeopardizes the entirety of the Amazon and its communities.
Thousands marched on August 20 in the Brazilian cities of Belém, São Paulo, Brasília, Rio de Janeiro, Fortaleza, João Pessoa, Recife, Salvador, Santarém, Florianópolis, Cuiabá, Manaus, Natal, Palmas and Belo Horizonte. International solidarity actions followed in Ankara, Canberra, Copenhagen, Toronto, London, Moscow, Paris, Berlin, Tehran, Jakarta, Guadalajara, Hague, Oslo, Lisbon, Edinburgh, Wrexham, Taipei, Washington DC, New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and Miami!
Read this press release with more details on the International Day of Action to Defend the Amazon.