Show Solidarity with Fundación Pachamama!
Tell Ecuador to reinstate Pachamama Foundation and end repression of civil society and indigenous peoples!
On the morning of December 4th, 2013, the Quito-based headquarters of the internationally recognized organization Pachamama Foundation was raided and closed down by police agents, who presented a resolution of the Ecuadorian Ministry of Environment dissolving the organization.
We call on the Government of Ecuador to immediately reinstate Fundación Pachamama and cease its efforts to repress civil society groups and indigenous peoples.
Pachamama Foundation's position has always been based in the defense of human rights and the rights of nature, all of this carried out in actions within the rule of law. For the last sixteen years they have offered solidarity and assistance to the indigenous organizations that legitimately represent the ancestral peoples of the Amazon.
As a matter of principle and institutional nature, the Pachamama Foundation rejects any violent actions coming from any sector. In our experience, the Foundation has never supported or much less participated in violent actions. Such violence cannot be imputed upon them for acts they did not commit.
Given their work in defense of rights, they have been publicly and viciously attacked by those who hold political power in Ecuador, accusations that have been broadly disseminated through state-run media. We view this as violent, in addition to hastily dissolving an organization, without any legal justification, without a due process that would guarantee legitimate defense.
Please SIGN THE PETITION and use the buttons to the right to SHARE it today!
More ways to show your support:
- Like Pachmama on Facebook and follow them on Twitter for updates in the coming hours and days
- Participate in the Twitter action, using the hashtag #SolidaridadPachamama
- Call the Ecuadorian Embassy or Consulate closest to you or send them a letter (sample letter here) and let them know you believe that Pachamama should be re-instated
- Add your organization's signature to a statement of solidarity (read the letter text here, and contact us if you have any questions)
- Circulate the above action items to your members, via email and social media
- Share Pachamama press releases with media contacts