Take Action for Justice Now! on December 10th
December 4, 2012 | Maíra Irigaray
Right now we are witnessing a critical moment in Brazil's history. Brazil's current energy polices have created glaring setbacks for the rights of indigenous peoples, the environment and Brazilian democracy. It's time to take action for justice. Join us on Monday, December 10th for an International Day of Action against the Belo Monte Dam and for Justice Now!
Why take action next week?
Last month, together with the Movimento Xingo Vivo Para Sempre and International Rivers, we launched the Justice Now! Campaign calling on the Brazilian judiciary to help bring resolution to the outstanding legal cases against the Belo Monte Dam. The campaign has been endorsed by 140 Brazilian organizations and 63 international groups from at least 25 countries in a sign on letter to Brazilian judicial authorities, including the new Afro-Brazilian President of the Supreme Court. The coalition delivered the letter last week and is requesting face-to-face meetings led by Brazilian civil society groups to discuss concerns.
The situation in Brazil is getting more serious by the day. Last week the Brazilian National Development Bank (BNDES) approved a historic $10.8 billion loan for the Belo Monte Dam. While this decision was anticipated for December, we were surprised to see the funds released amidst controversy over the dam, including indigenous occupations and worker uprisings.
BNDES must reconsider its loan and the Brazilian judiciary rule on outstanding legal cases before the Xingu River is closed. It's time for Justice Now! Join Us!
How to Take Action for Justice Now! on Monday, December 10:
In solidarity with actions in Altamira, across Brazil and around the world:
- Organize an event or make a delivery to your local Brazilian embassy or consulate:
- Find your nearest Brazilian embassy or consulate.
- Deliver a Justice Now! letter to the embassy or consulate
- Organize an event in front of an embassy or consulate during business hours on Monday, December 10th, 2012. This can be anything from a small gathering of a few individuals handing out leaflets and holding up signs to a high-profile public action, including theatrical or musical presentations. The more creative and visual, the better. See photos from International Day of Action in Aug. 2011.
- Create a Facebook event and add it to our Facebook page so people can find and join your event
- Photo actions from home or in front of an embassy or consulate:
This action can be done anywhere. We'll be creating a collection of photos of people around the world who are demanding Justice Now! for the people of the Xingu and Brazil. We will deliver them to Supreme Court of Brazil and the president of BNDES along with the petition. Please send them in on or before Dec. 10th.
- Take pictures of yourself and others holding your own sign! If you go to an embassy or consulate, ask people walking by to take photos with your signs. Ideas for signs are below, but you can also create your own!
- Share your photos on Facebook and Twitter, and then send them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please let us know if we can share your photo on our day of action page. The best photo will be publicized as the face of the campaign!
- Stop the Belo Monte Dam: Justice Now!
- I support the people of the Xingu and I want Justice Now!
- Brazil: Respect indigenous rights! - STOP BELO MONTE! Justice Now!
- Brazil: Protect the Amazon! - STOP BELO MONTE! Justice Now!
- We are in ____ and we oppose Belo Monte. We want Justice Now!
- If you can't attend a protest, call a Brazilian embassy or consulate in solidarity.
- Sign and publicize the grassroots urgent action petition that will complement the sign-on letter. If you'd like to collect petition signatures on paper, let us know and we'll send it to you.
- Please consider making a donation to support the movement for justice to stop the Belo Monte Dam in Brazil.
Stay Tuned and Spread the Word!
Follow the the Dec. 10th International Day of Action on Facebook.
Tweet: #PareBeloMonte Justice Now!