Download as PDF
Location: Oakland, CA
Application Deadline: December 31st, 2014
Founded in 1996, Amazon Watch is a dynamic nonprofit organization that protects the rainforest and advances the rights of indigenous peoples in the Amazon Basin. We partner with indigenous and environmental organizations in campaigns for human rights, corporate accountability and the preservation of the Amazon's ecological systems. Amazon Watch has successfully led the way in a number of groundbreaking victories for indigenous peoples’ rights and the environment through effective campaigning, educating corporations and the public, and strengthening the capacities of indigenous committees.
Amazon Watch continues to grow organizationally and programmatically, significantly increasing our impact and exposure in recent years in order to meet the challenges of protecting the rainforest. Our dynamic and growing staff work out of four different offices to expand public awareness and support for the intrinsic value of indigenous peoples stewardship and the significance of the Amazon rainforest, especially as it relates to climate change. We are dedicated to increasing the capacity of indigenous peoples to advance their rights and legalize their territories and will continue to challenge the existing development paradigm and champion alternatives to the fossil-fuel development model. Amazon Watch is seeking a passionate professional for the position of Development Director. The Development Director manages all aspects of Amazon Watch fundraising activities, working with the Executive Director, Program Director, Director of Outreach, Development Associate and Grants Manager to ensure that Amazon Watch annually raises the funds it requires in order to fulfill its mission and make steady growth a reality. We are seeking an experienced professional with proven capacity to help raise over 2 million dollars annually. This position reports to the Executive Director.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Implement a targeted strategy for securing philanthropic support from individuals and corporations
- Work collaboratively with senior staff on the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of individual and corporate donors
- Special attention to growth of Amazon Watch's Major Donor program with constant contact to our base of major donors, aimed at growth of size and returns
- Provide guidance and leadership to the Development Associate focusing on donor relations and special events
- Oversee direct mail and email, donor stewardship
- Oversee and collaborate with Online Director for on-line fundraising
- Oversee and design special events; Collaborate with event planning and execution with other offices
- Identify, validate and implement new opportunities and channels of fundraising through new vehicles and partnerships
- Collaboratively lead and manage the P2P Fundraising Program
- Participate in Amazon Watch's organizational planning process
- Engage and steward Amazon Watch Board as fundraisers and supporters
- Plan and participate in donor delegations to the Amazon Basin with Amazon Watch program staff
- Promote the organization at every level
- Engage with partners and prospects for the betterment of the organization's resources and external perception
- Develop and implement systems and processes to improve the Development Program
- At least four years experience in development with proven ability to raise significant amounts of money, from individual donors as well as corporations
- Strong leadership and management experience with the demonstrated ability to lead productive and vibrant teams, manage multiple priorities and deadlines, and guide decision-making processes
- Strong organizational skills, excellent multitasker and planner
- Experience preparing budgets and producing reports (financial updates and projections)
- Event planning experience required
- Public speaking and Media presenting a plus
- Proficiency with Salesforce and Excel highly desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Spanish or Portuguese proficiency a plus
- Possess strong cross-cultural awareness and the ability to build strategic alliances that move the work forward.
Commensurate with experience.
Please, no calls. Send résumé, three references, and cover letter about why you would like to join our team and why you are the best candidate for the job to:
Karen Rodriguez, Director of Finance and Operations
2201 Broadway Suite 508
Oakland, CA 94612
Or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please name and save your attachments with your first and last name in the title, such as:
"Ana_Martinez_Cover_Letter.doc" and "Ana_Martinez_Resume.doc." Thank you.
Amazon Watch is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, political belief, age, gender, sexual orientation or class. People of color and indigenous people strongly encouraged to apply. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States.